Haiti's new prime minister discharged after spending night in hospital – NBC News

Profile
Sections
tv
Featured
More From NBC
Follow NBC News
There are no new alerts at this time
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti — Haiti’s newly selected Prime Minister Garry Conille was discharged from a hospital Sunday after spending a night in treatment for an undisclosed condition.
In a video published on YouTube, Conille said he felt well and was “ready” to continue to help steer the country out of its current security crisis by forming a government that will also prioritize issues like health care.
In his video, Conille said: “The whole time I was at the hospital, I was thinking of something: People that need to go to the general hospital can’t get there (due to widespread violence). People who need health care can’t afford it.”
He was hospitalized late Saturday in the capital of Port-au-Prince, the government said. It wasn’t clear why he may have needed medical attention.
The office of the prime minister said in a statement on Saturday that Conille was feeling slightly unwell “following a week of intense activities.” It did not provide further details except to say that Conille was stable and that he thanked those who visited him and wished him well.
AP journalists observed high-ranking officials entering the hospital, including Frantz Elbé, director of Haiti’s National Police. Also present was Bruno Maes, UNICEF’s representative in Haiti.
A handful of curious onlookers gathered outside the hospital as authorities blocked the street with tinted-glass SUVs.
Conille was chosen as prime minister May 28 after a convoluted selection process. He faces an arduous task as Haiti’s newest leader, including quelling widespread gang violence as the country prepares for the U.N.-backed deployment of a Kenyan police force, a move that was delayed in part because Haiti lacked a premier after former Prime Minister Ariel Henry stepped down April 25.
Henry was on an official visit to Kenya when gangs launched coordinated attacks Feb. 29, burning police stations, shooting at the country’s main international airport and storming Haiti’s two biggest prisons, releasing more than 4,000 inmates. The violence left Henry locked out of the country and eventually led to his resignation.
Conille arrived in Haiti on June 1, having worked outside the country until recently as UNICEF’s regional director for Latin America and the Caribbean, a post he assumed in January 2023. He previously served as Haiti’s prime minister from October 2011 to May 2012 under then President Michel Martelly.
“I am doing everything we can so we can get out of this crisis,” Conille said of the nation’s crime in Sunday’s video.
Conille has been meeting with multiple officials and visiting various parts of Port-au-Prince since arriving, including climbing into an armored vehicle wearing a helmet and flak jacket to go along on a patrol with officers from Haiti’s National Police.
Earlier Saturday, Conille toured Haiti’s main international airport, which recently reopened after gang violence forced it to close for nearly three months. On Friday, he met with leaders of the private business sector as well as the country’s two telecommunications companies.
Conille also had been meeting regularly with the transitional council as they debated who should be appointed to Haiti’s new Cabinet.
The Associated Press
© 2024 NBC UNIVERSAL

source

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *